MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials who have attracted much attention lately, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and also have shown broad application prospects in numerous fields. The following is an in depth guide to the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
Precisely What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is really a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material consisting of M, A, X elements on the periodic table, collectively known as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, including titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the key group elements, including aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is made up of M, A, X, the three components of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Due to their electrical conductivity of metal and high strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, these are commonly used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding as well as other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is actually a new form of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with all the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, comprising three elements with all the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M refers to the transition metal, A means the main-group elements, and X refers back to the components of C and N. The MXene material is really a graphene-like structure obtained from the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAX phases are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made from carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Uses of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the excellent physical properties of MAX materials make sure they are have an array of applications in structural materials. For example, Ti3SiC2 is a kind of MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which could be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials will also be found in functional materials. For instance, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and may be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. Additionally, some MAX materials also provide better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be used in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which is often used in energy materials. For instance, K4(MP4)(P4) is one of the MAX materials with higher ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used a raw material to produce solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What are MXene materials?
MXene materials are a new form of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, just like the structure of graphene. The surface of MXene materials can communicate with more functional atoms and molecules, and a high specific area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation methods of MXene materials usually include the etching management of the MAX phase and also the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties including electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics could be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials really are a new kind of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials consisting of metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, such as high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., in addition to good chemical stability and the opportunity to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Applications of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and they are popular in energy storage and conversion. For example, MXene materials can be used as electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. Furthermore, MXene materials could also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to improve the activity and stability in the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity may be used in electromagnetic protection. For example, MXene materials bring electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, and other applications in electronic products and personal protection, boosting the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and may be used in sensing and detection. For example, MXene materials can be used gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which may realize high sensitivity and selectivity detection of gases. Furthermore, MXene materials can also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics and other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Later on, using the continuous progress of science and technology as well as the improving demand for services for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will be further expanded and improved. The following aspects could become the focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mainly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. Down the road, new preparation technologies and methods can be further explored to understand a far more efficient, energy-saving and eco friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials has already been high, there is however still room for additional optimization. In the future, the composition, structure, surface treatment and other aspects of the material can be studied and improved in depth to boost the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials happen to be popular in lots of fields, but you can still find many potential application areas to be explored. Later on, they may be further expanded, such as in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection and other fields.
To conclude, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show a wide application prospect in numerous fields. With all the continuous progress of technology and science and also the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application areas of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.